Q&A With Dr. Ron Arndt, The Dental Coach: Help! My Morning Huddles Have Turned Into a Gripe Festby Dr. Ron Arndt
Question: My morning meeting with my staff has quickly turned into a gripe fest. Everyone is complaining! Nothing gets done! This seems so unproductive, and I’m considering cancelling them all together. Can you help?
Answer: To make your Morning Huddles productive and positive, have an agenda. By following this agenda, you make sure that you first deal with the issues that are most important.
This is what a sample agenda should look like for your dental practice’s Morning Huddles:
- Review of our daily production goal. What numbers do we want to see today?
- How are we going to create a positive environment today that is inspiring, encouraging and empowering? This ensures that when your team leaves the meeting and heads to the treatment room, that they are taking care of patients with love.
- Today’s Core Value, and how we will use it.
- Compliments. It’s always important to identify a positive behavior in a staff member for something wonderful that happened the day before.
- Referrals. Who will we ask for referrals today?
- How do we make this a splendid, successful day? How can we all walk away feeling we’ve made a positive difference today?
The Morning Huddle is not the time to discuss which politician is right, how lousy the economy is, the mood of the doctor or any other opinioned issue that is not related to productivity and patient care. Follow the agenda above to ensure that your Morning Huddle is productive, positive and there aren’t any gripes!
Do you have other ideas on how to make your office staff meetings more productive? Please share them in the comments below.