Dental CEOs: Look Beyond the Imperfectionsby Dr. Ron Arndt
Too often, I hear dentists and their teams say:
- Our business is off.
- The economy is terrible.
- Patients don’t want to schedule.
- We are understaffed.
- It’s impossible to find “good people”.
The list goes on…it is much too easy to place the blame on things outside ourselves. All businesses go through cycles and it’s even easier to invent excuses.
What’s the possibility that you and or your team may be getting in the way?
If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. However, stop complaining and DO SOMETHING. Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.
Here are some ideas to help us adjust our “bad weather-day thinking”:
- What if you spent your day catching people doing things right? Then praise them.
- Check to see if you are using the Mushroom Management Style: keep everyone in the dark and expect them to grow. If so, be more transparent in your business.
- Incorporate the idea that you can’t promise your patients sunny weather, but you can promise to hold an umbrella over them when it rains.
- Affirm daily that your glass is half-full.