Why Communicating “Enough” Is NOT Enough!by Dr. Ron Arndt
I see Dental CEOs all of the time spout phrases like:
- I’m tired of talking!
- Am I asking too many questions?
- I don’t want to insult their intelligence by clarifying too much.
- Quiet time is a good thing!
I want you to take these action steps to measure if you are communicating too much, talking too much, asking too many questions, etc.
- Hold “Morning Huddles” with your staff daily. They don’t have to be long, but they do have to be consistent.
- Share your key practice measurements, numbers and goals with your entire team once a month. This is called Open Book Management.
- Give clear directions (even if it takes longer). At the end of the conversation, ask “What is your understanding of the task?”
- Tell your spouse how much you love him/her! (For more tips on spousal communication: 93 Tips to Create Long Term Relationships)
Now, how do you feel? Do you feel that you wasted a lot of time?
Or – did your team work together better? Did your spouse tell you how wonderfully brilliant you are?
The lesson: It’s impossible to over-communicate! Too much is never enough!